Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Living "right"....Is it all wrong?

We have been working real hard at trying to do the "right" things as a family so that we can receive much needed blessings in our lives. In doing this I would have bet that our home would become one of less yelling, fighting, selfishness and even laziness. Well it seems to opposite has happened. We began this new quest of righteous living just over a week ago and in this past week we have had to dive over hurdles and obstacles that were not present before.

Points in question, Brett has been a wonderful, quiet and easy going person most of our married life. This week he has been so grouchy and honoree. Case in point, he never yells, never! Yet this week he has yelled at our dog at least three times and at our kids a few. Steve, who really never questions authority has begun to talk back and question us as parents. Mike....Well he is Mike, no more needs to be said. Brittany, has again used her "tone" with everyone and has lacked patience with most everyone in the family and then Sam. Sam never, ever gets upset, mad, inpatient with anyone yet just today she was selfish and let Brittany know that she could not see her egg experiment. She has never done this before. Even the dog has been a problem with disobeying and not listening. Then last night I come home from work and am faced with a change that through me for a loop. With this change came the thoughts...."What are the chances?" and better yet, "My Heavenly Father really is not that funny", and last but not least "are you kidding me, is this some kind of joke". I cannot elaborate as to what the change was but I really struggled with this and went to bed feeling like I was being punished for something.

Then today, it hit me. I have been focused on everyone Else's actions and never stopped to think about how I have been feeling this past week. I have had the best week of MY life! Everyone around me seems to have been transformed into different members of the family and yet I have not cared one bit. I have found such joy, peace and love this past week I have nothing to complain about. Even this change that I was not too pleased with was no big deal. I could and would be fine. My family is tolerable and a joy to be around. (since when?) Since last week! And I know that is because I am receiving the much needed blessings by living "right".

You see our loving Father in Heaven said "I did not say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it".

It really has been worth it! I have enjoyed every moment sitting with my husband and kids and reading scriptures together. I have loved to peace I feel when praying together as a family. I have had such comfort in knowing that what ever comes my way during the day, I can handle it. It really is so biggie. Life is not easy and sometimes can be a real bummer and you know what? Living right is not wrong but just sometimes hard. And that is "right" by me!

1 comment:

  1. Also...whenever you try to do what's "right" - Satan doesn't LIKE IT ONE BIT! So, it seems like all these annoying things happen and it's too hard, etc. It's his way to get us to GIVE UP!
    But, I learned from YOUR Sacrament Meeting talk about a year ago...Who's gonna win? Satan? HECK NO! ;)

    ReplyDelete